The Sister Advocate/Trainer provides consistent social support and advocacy services for women veterans in Hope4veterans program. Sister Advocate/Trainer helps women veteran sisters navigate systems and obtain the services that are necessary for stability and wellness. Hope4Veterans mission emphasizes supportive, non-judgmental care, preventive care, health education and community referrals to address the broad spectrum of health and psycho-social concerns of our women veterans served and serving.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilize your professional life skills and experience to provide peer2peer support and training for women veterans and their families.
- Assist online/in person thru 2 weeks of Phase 1 and support for Phase 2 which is VSO/ Medical/Claims.
- Provide veteran sisters with information about resources, referrals, and navigate the VA system (processes and procedures).
- Assist veterans in preparing for disability claims, VA medical, advocate as a sister.
- Assist and navigate the process for our veteran sisters with her basic needs, and the steps to become self sufficient for their family. Women Veterans will not be giving any mental health advice (Sisters Advocate/Trainer are not mental health providers)
- Responsible for tracking systems, applications, referral source documentations to regional coordinator and licensed counselors. Produces and maintains accurate and timely documentation.
- Sisters Advocate/Trainer seeks consultation regularly and acts within limits of her role.
- Participates in staff meetings, provide feedback, and troubleshoot barriers faced by veterans.
- Assist with coordination of care offering input on veteran progress and the development of the program.
- Develop an understanding of Hope4veterans mission and building effectively working relationships.
- Provides a consistent source of encouragement, hope, and non-judgmental support to women veterans.
- Serves as a consultant and mentor to veterans and models effective coping techniques.
- Participates in providing a variety of support services for veterans (e.g. support groups, activities, outreach, referrals, attending C&P appointments and collaborating with Hope4veterans partnership).
- Ability to remain calm in crisis or emergent situations.
- Works as a part of a multi-disciplinary team with Licensed Counselors, regional coordinators, nonprofit partners, and county agencies.
- Responsible for remaining within established ethical standards, including those of confidentiality.
- Attend trainings/conferences as arranged.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required such as a degree in training, education or counseling fields.
- Understanding your own (as a Trainer/ Advocate) strengths, weaknesses and triggers to allow the best fit. Understanding your boundaries within yourself and others.
- Attend additional training such as MST, Suicide trainings and any other training to expand your knowledge to help assist women veteran sisters.
- Applicants must be willing to identify as a women veteran and must offer support based on having a minimum of 1-2 years of personal/professional experience in teaching, social services and/or helping others.
- Must provide proof of current driver’s license and auto insurance if assisting with transportation of veteran of if your roles requires.
- Attendance and punctuality is necessary. Ability to work constructively with a multidisciplinary team. Ability to handle crisis situations. Ability to represent core agency/program values and principles in a variety of settings. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Ability to problem solves and be self-motivated. Intermediate computer skills, experience with data entry. Must have a commitment to excellence and high standards. Expected to have strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to understand and follow written/verbal instructions. Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and awareness.
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computer equipment
- Demonstrate ability to work with underserved populations
- Veteran/military/women veteran